Hey everyone! Today on All Things Blush Lexi and I are sharing some tips on how to keep your hair looking fresh between washes, especially during the hot summer days! We will be sharing some of our favorite products as well as some cute hair styles you can do when your hair is too dirty to wear down.
6 Tips For Keeping Your Hair Looking Fresh Between Washes
- Typically, we like to wash our hair about two times a week. But, this is very difficult to achieve in the summer, especially with Texas humidity. One helpful tip is to shampoo your hair twice on the days that you wash it. This will ensure that your hair is extra clean (this rids product build-up from the previous days of not washing it).
- Every once in a while, it’s good to wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo. The Sunday Shampoo by Bumble and Bumble is perfect for an every-once-in-a-while use when you feel your hair needs a good detox! It rids hair of product residue, hard water minerals, pollutants….you name it. It is perfect for product junkies and infrequent washers. I recommend following this product with a hydrating mask.
- Keep your hands out of your hair! I know this can be really hard for most of us girls. I have slowly but surely trained myself not to run my fingers through my hair nearly as much! The more you touch, the greasier your hair will be from the natural oils your hands produce.
- Buy a shower cap. I know this might sound silly, but this can make a huge difference! This not only keeps your hair dry while showering, but prevents it from retaining unwanted moisture which can make your hair look limp and gross. I will link the Dry Bar shower cap here, it’s my fav!
- Make dry shampoo your best friend. Dry shampoo is the best product to use when trying to prolong your hair between washes. It helps remove excess grease from your hair and adds texture which can give you a little volume! A nice little tip about dry shampoo we like to tell people is to put a little in your hair after it’s clean. What most people don’t know is that you can use dry shampoo to help PREVENT your hair from getting dirty and oily too quick. We will link all of our fav dry shampoos at the end of this post!
- When in doubt, braid it out! We love to use braids on our dirtiest days. This is when the dry shampoo has built up so much that it doesn’t work as well anymore. Braids help hide grease and shine from the oil build up in your hair. Here are some pics of our favorite go-to braided hair styles on our dirtiest hair days-
Our Favorite Dry Shampoos
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day: This product contains fast-absorbing powders that soak up oil and sweat. Great for all hair types and colors, and it is so lightweight that is leaves no residue or powdery build up on the hair. It is very simple and versatile, so you can’t go wrong with this one!
Dry Bar Detox Shampoo & Conditioner: This combo is one of our favs! The dry shampoo absorbs oils and impurities, adds lift to the roots, well as deodorizing the hair. The dry conditioner smooths, hydrates and detangles the ends of your hair in between washes for a freshly conditioned look.
Batiste: This dry shampoo is on of our favorites as well because it compares to all of these higher end brands, but is less than $10! There are many options as far as scent goes, and also some that are tinted for colored hair. Batiste offers an instant fix by revitalizing greasy, dull and lifeless hair, and makes your hair smell amazing!
Bumble and Bumble Prêt-à-Powder: This product is a combination of dry shampoo and texturizing powder that will keep your hair smelling and looking fresh! It offers strong oil absorption and volume-boosting benefits that is nearly invisible in the hair. Great for all types and textures, yet ideal for hair that’s missed a wash or two, this must powder will leave hair looking clean, fresh, and voluminous. (Lexi’s current favorite)
Our Favorite Shampoo & Conditioner
I love the Quenching Shampoo & Conditioner line of Bumble and Bumble for the simple reason of summer; we are outside a lot more, swimming, going to the beach, and just not washing our hair as often as normal. That being said, it’s so important for our hair’s integrity to remain moisturized to counteract all the activities that severely dry it out!
I am in love with the Bumble and Bumble hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Shampoo & Conditioner. These products are infused with six featherlight oils that help soften, silken, tame, de-frizz, detangle, and protect your hair. They are also sulfate-free, which means they will preserve the color and moisture in your hair.
We hope you guys enjoyed our post! Please leave comments or shoot an email for any other questions or recommendations you may have!
Rachel & Lexi